Monday, December 6, 2010

Journal 6 NETS-T 2

I read an analyzed an article relating to technology in education, and I provided a summary/response to it, along with proposed questions and answers.

Rebora, A. (2010). Change agent. Education Week, 4(1), Retrieved from http://www.edweek.org/tsb/articles/2010/10/12/01richardson.h04.html?cmp=clp-edweek&intc=bs&sms_ss=delicious&at_xt=4cb7dc75d0303b73,0

Summary/reflection:  I found this interview with Will Richardson very interesting, and found myself agreeing with many of his statements.  I see him as a professional who is embracing the fact that technology is becoming more and more prevalent  and can be highly beneficial if used properly in the education world.

He first discusses the importance of being "Googleable".  This means that you have put yourself out into the web and are now findable.  He says that people are going to Google your name, so you should have a positive web based profile online.  I thought this was very interesting, so I decided to Google my name, Christine Turner, and see what comes up.  I am not the highly decorated Brigadier General  of the United States Air Force that first comes up, nor am I the department chair at Portland State University.  She is actually in the department of art therapy and counseling department, which is a field of interest to me.  My boyfriend and I have also been talking about moving to Portland.  I think it would be hilarious if we did move there and I was a student in her program.  I'd have to get a good grade having the same exact name as the director right?  There was also a Christine M Turner in Carlsbad, which is the same middle initial as me.  As these results show, I am currently not "Googleable" according to Richardson.

I agree with is statement that technology is a "huge culture shift" and that you should share your information with others.  Information should especially be shared during this time of newly incorporating technology into the classroom.  I look to my peers in my classes for advice, so why shouldn't teachers?  Richardson states that in order to make the transition into the classroom, it shouldn't be seen as a 1 unit class, but instead of making it a shift in the way we do things.  I think the easy way out would be to make it a class, as opposed to a way of education.

The topic in the interview that I couldn't have agreed more with is when Richardson is discussing how we should focus more on developing the learning process, as opposed to spitting out the right answer.  In the work place I've found and heard that it's not about knowing how to do everything, but knowing how to work with others, use critical thinking, and use means to find the answer.  Through my schooling I have learned the art of memorization.  It sounds silly, but I really do have a few different techniques to pass this style of test.  Unfortunately, as Richardson states, most people are totally focused on test scores, instead of how you use different skills.  I agree with Alfie Kohn's views on teaching, and think Richardson would too.

Q1: Do we really need to promote web-based learning when children are tech-savvy already?

A1:  Yes, I believe so.  As Richardson pointed out, although children are more comfortable with computers, it's largely based on social networking.  It's great that children are growing up to be comfortable with technology, now we have to teach them how to use it to their advantage.  Why only learn from your handful of teachers when you can learn from people all over the world?  Teaching how to use technology to our advantage will help students create their PLN.

Q2:  How can we incorporate technology into the classroom?

A2:  I think it will be difficult to use technology to our full advantage when education is stuck in the same testing routine.  I think that if schools wanted to start off slow, they could have the staff start building their PLN, and then all be a part of each others networks.  Then they could share information, helpful tools, and tips for what they found works and doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment